Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Eco-friendly dish washing soap


The last time I was at the grocery store, the price of a small container of Cascade liquid dish soap was about $6. The generic store brand wasn't much better at $4.

I'm all for saving money, and one of my constant expenses is dish washing soap, as I run the dish washer pretty much everyday.

I'm also all for being eco-friendly and getting back to natural products, remedies, etc. Besides, I do not like all the strange chemicals, preservatives and other things that are constantly showing up in everything from cleaning products to food.

So I have decided to take a look at things that cost me money and see if there is a cheaper way to do it, as well as an eco-friendly way to do it.

Running the dishwasher is considered "greener" than doing dishes by hand, especially if you only run the unit when it is full, use a cold water setting, and have an Energy Star model.

So after a little research I found a recipe for an eco-friendly dish washer detergent.

1. One part baking soda (or Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda)

2. One part borax (as in 20 Mule Team Borax)

Some people complained of a film left on the dishes when they used baking soda. So I am going to use the washing soda, borax and put white vinegar in my rinse agent.

I hope to try it tonight and will post how it comes out.

Do you have any cost cutting/eco-friendly tips for household chores?

My next project will be to wean myself and my family off the constant paper towel use :)

2 comments:

  1. You can get the homemade cloth paper towels! I would love to get these. I hear nothing but good things and you can wash them and reuse them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some micro-fiber clothes that say they are reusable and washable..Have to test them out first!!

    ReplyDelete